Sunday, November 20, 2011

DIY t-shirt scarf! Super easy and fun

With winter sneaking in and temperatures quickly dropping, keeping warm is a must. Layers, chunky sweaters, fun scarves and tall boots are my favorite winter staples. Paying full price and looking like everyone else is never a problem when you have a hot glue gun and a few extra minutes.  Thanks to Mr. Kate and the awesome Threadbanger, you can learn how to turn an old tee into a new scarf.  This project is easy enough for beginners but fun for even the most advanced of crafters. 

Things you will need...
T-Shirt
(mens sizes, larger the longer your scarf)
Scissors
Glue Gun

Optional
leather (pleather)
old jewelry
beads

 I have a bunch of old jewelry that is either broken or in a giant knot, so I used that to decorate my scarf but you can use lots of things.

I used a large mens shirt, my shirt had a pocket on it but it came off quiet easy. Lay your shirt flat and cut straight across from armpit to armpit.



Also cut the bottom seem off.



Cut vertical strips from 1/2 to 1 inch strips, stopping and inch from the top




take each strip and and stretch it out, once that is done I chose to use 3 of the strips to make a braid.
Use the section that is not cut to gather and secure your new scarf! 





Now the fun part! Take your assortment of "doohickies" and figure out how you would like to decorate your scarf. I chose to use 2 colors of suede rope to cover the section that isn't cut. I also wrapped a distressed silver chain around the braid that I made. I used more of the chain and a broken feather earring to finish off the look. 







I'm super happy with the way the scarf turned out.  I'll make sure to do an Outfit of the day with it. If you have any questions or if you make one too, please leave me a comment!











No comments:

Post a Comment