Friday, December 30, 2011

My thoughts on 2011 and goals for 2012...

I hate New Year's resolutions. I hate them. It's like promising to do something because everyone else is. And it's always the same things... "My New Year's resolutions is to loose weight/go to the gym", or " I'm going to quiet smoking" or " I'm going to stop drinking soda". I've heard them and then by mid January, your back to chain smoking, eating Slim Jims, and sitting on the couch watching old episodes of Fraiser crying wondering what went wrong! Ok well maybe that's a bit extreme, but you get the picture.

Things I've learned this year....

1.) While you don't really get to choose the family you get, you can choose your friends and make them your family.  I don't have a big family, and by choice I stopped talking to my father because he didn't agree with my marriage to Jim. My mother is not a saint by any means, and she isn't always the easiest person to deal with or be around, but she is all I have and I'm stuck with her. My grandparents were amazing people and worked hard their whole lives. They are very special to me and even though they are gone now, I hold them close to my heart and think of them all the time. I have a sister and things are rocky. I'm not sure what more to say about this at this time. I will say though, that my sister has two awesome kids. My niece who is 15 is a spitting image of my sister. She is smart, and funny and has more common sense then most people I've met. My nephew who is 12, is one of the funniest,most unique, and sweetest person I've ever met.  I'm proud to be their aunt and I hope they know how much I truly love them. 


With that being said, Jim and I want to start a family of our own. Not right at this moment, but within the next couple years we would like to adopt or have a child of our own.  Jim doesn't have a big family either and we both want our child/children to have friends and a full childhood with memories of friends and family (both of us were only children growing up, my sister is 14 years older then me so I basically was an only child).  I recently started talking to my sister, and would love nothing more then to have her in our lives, but things are a little rocky and that decision is hers. I've made my piece and when she is ready I will be here.  Our friends have been so amazing this holiday season, especially Mitch and Maryanne, who let us and the dogs come stay with them for almost a week around Christmas. This brings me to my point. With all the family drama and the little family we have, I've realized that our friends, are our family. We may not get to see them all the time living so far away from one another, but our friends really mean the world to us... That means you, Halley, Elaine, Cora, Jaxon, Amanda, Mitch, Maryanne, Lisette, Matt and Cadell.  You are the family we chose and you mean so very much to us. 

2.) With all this time on my hands this year, I've had alot of time to think and plan and really decide what I would like to do in the future. Goals I'd like to set, with that being said.... WITHIN THE NEXT 2 YEARS I WANT TO OPEN UP MY OWN BAKERY AND COFFEE SHOP.  I want it to have a Pin Up, retro, vintage theme. All the baked goods will have fun names like Cinnamon buns being called "Victory rolls". I want to have fun little classes for decorating cookies and cupcakes and a couple times a month, staying open late and doing burlesque shows.  I'm super excited and super motivated.

Goals for 2012....

1.) I have a horrible habit of not staying in contact with people. My goal this coming year is to stay in touch with my friends more. I want to catch up more often and hear what going on with everyone. I don't care if people need to tell me to call less, I'm going to pester my bestest friends!

2.) I am going to enroll at the local community college and take courses on business management and maybe a couple of baking courses. Jim and I have been talking about taking a class together maybe so we can study together. I think that might be fun. 

No resolution, but lots of brain storming. I'll update soon with some fun stuff.

And once again, Thank you to my amazing husband, who takes care of me when I'm a snotty mess and make me feel pretty even if I have a crusty nose! True love, aint it pretty :)

Happy New Year.

Be Safe!!!!!!

One of our engagement photos!














2 comments:

  1. girl i hate them too! only thing i wanna do is set daily goals and stick with em...screw the old generic resolution!

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some amazing friends who are a real part of my family, and it is so nice, I have a very big family too, and luckily we are all close and get along.

    Me and my husband have studied together a few times and its always fun, it was how we got to meet in the first place at 16.

    I don't really do resolutions as I fail miserably, my only one is to buy more gorgeous lingerie as mine is mis matched bunch of tut. xxx

    I hope 2012 is an amazing year for you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete