Wednesday, January 4, 2012

DIY Jewelry hanger and room tour!

One of the things I would like for the new year fashion wise is to think more about accessories more. With that being said I also would like to be more organized this year. Both in mind, I started browsing the web looking for a jewelry hanger. I love the old looking bird cage ones, and the ones that look like trees. I found lots of cool ones, but with price tags of upwards of $45 I said "I could totally just make one myself!". SO I DID! I found everyday things that I had that would match my room decor and set out on a craft-venture. 

My room is very bold when it comes to color choices. These colors were not my choices, our old roommate painted the room when she moved in, when she moved to Portland we moved rooms so that we could re-do the flooring in our old room, and then we kinda just stayed. The bold red, black and white of the color makes finding things that fit with the decor of our room a little difficult. 

When Jim and I got married we had mix and match vintage china at each table. We had a few left over that didn't match anything so I knew that I could use those in some way for my jewelry display. From there I found some old knobs, wooden thread spools, thimbles, and and champagne corks. Frank promptly came over and stole the corks and chewed them to pieces! 




I decided that I wanted to decoupage the plate with pattern pieces. I grabbed some more stuff that I thought I might need and that would be helpful. 




I decoupaged all the plates and when they dried I gorilla glued the picture hangers on the back. A warning for people using this glue. This was my first time using this glue and it says that it expands, but when my dabs of glue dried they expanded so much that I couldn't fit anything under the hanger. I ended up having to chizzle away part of the glue to make it work, but since no one sees the back it didn't need to be pretty!







After all the glue was dry and all your doo-hickies are attached, lay out your plates in the arrangement of your liking . Nail to the wall and enjoy your new jewelry hanger!!!!!!





With all the photos being taken, I figured I might as well show off my room, so here are a couple pictures of my lovely room....

My old bike wheel, filled with memories!

Pictures of my g-rents, engagement pics, bart cards and more!
My handsome man, kinda looks like Morrissey.



A robot head really works in any room!
Good boys!













No comments:

Post a Comment