Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Creamy Polenta with Meatballs.

I know that I normally stick to baking posts, but I thought I would mix it up and write about dinner this time. When we stayed with friends in Sacramento, they made us this awesome recipe and when we got home I had to try it myself. It's fairly simple and easy to make. Although this was my first time cooking polenta. I leaned that you need to look for the fine grain kind when doing creamy polenta. We did not do this and our was a little gritty. It still tasted great and would make it again, it was just "different" this time. Lets get started.

Meatball Ingredients:
1lb. Ground beef (you can use turkey/pork or a mixture if you like)
1/4 medium yellow onion
tsp garlic (I use pre-chopped)
dash of pepper
dash of salt
dash of red pepper flake
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese 
1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350F degrees

 Mix all the ingredients together and shape into balls. I made 12 meatballs and it worked out great for us. We had enough for that night and then lunch the next day. In a pan brown all sides of the meatball and then stick in the oven for about a half hour.

While your balls are in the oven (ha ha) you can start your polenta. 

Polenta ingredients:

4cups chicken stalk
1 cup polenta (not the instant kind)
1/2 cup milk or cream
3 Tbsp butter
mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste


  In a large saucepan bring the chicken stalk to a boil and then whisk in the polenta and butter. Let cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently. The polenta will start to thicken, add in the milk and desired amount of cheese and seasonings and cook for another ten minutes.

 

 At this point your going to need marinara sauce. I just used a can of pre-made stuff and added some onions and seasonings. Heat that for about 5 minutes and then your ready to plate!



Here it is. It turned out super yummy and will totally make it again. I don't think my photo does it justice, but it really was great. I served this with a side salad and both of us were stuffed. 

Have a great day y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment