Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DIY Peter Pan Collar


MusicPlaylistRingtones
I love the idea of being able to put a collar on anything you want, so I thought I would join the masses and make myself a Peter Pan collar. Here is my take on this super cute and dainty fashion trend.

SUPPLIES
  • NEWSPAPER (OR PLAIN PAPER)
  • SCISSORS
  • SCRAP FABRIC (OR A FAT QUARTER WILL DO)
  • INTERFACING
  • SEWING SUPPLIES/MACHINE (OR NEEDLE AND THREAD)
  • HOOK AND EYE
  • OPTIONAL: IRON
To get started take your newspaper and fold in half. Draw a template for your Peter Pan collar on the fold so that it will be symmetrical. I've seen a couple of different styles of the collar, so I leave the design up to you but you could also print out my photo and enlarge and use the one I have made :) To make it a bit easier on you here are a few pieces of advice... I took my neck measurement and divided by 2 and x pi. Just like making a circle skirt. Then for the outside, I free handed the shape I wanted and I had to try a couple times before I got the shape I wanted. also once you have your pattern make sure you try it on and then cut what you don't need in the back off.


Next take your fabric and pin your pattern. When you cut out make sure to leave plenty of seam allowance. You will need two pieces (a front and a back).

After that you will need to cut out two pieces of interfacing (one for each side). Use the fabric as your guide to cut out the interfacing because you will need the seam allowance. I got fusible interfacing and it added another step for me, but I find it easier to work with. If you are using the fusible kind you will iron it down to the wrong sides of each piece. P.S you iron shiny side down. 


Once you have all your pieces it's time to assemble (News Teams Assemble!), sorry that was a lame Anchor man reference. You want good sides together, so it should interfacing, fabric, fabric, interfacing. Pin your fabric sandwich together. As a guide I traced the original pattern onto one side so I could use it as a reference. It actually helped a lot. 

Next grab your sewing machine or needle and thread and sew around your lines, making sure to leave both ends open and and one end a two inch slit so you can turn it right side out.  I started sewing at the scallop point and I triple stitched right there to ensure that it would make a crisp point. 


Once you have sewn completely around (except the ends and the slit) it's time to turn this bad right side out. I did not leave a two inch gap and let me tell you this was a pain in the ass! This was single handily the most time consuming part of the whole project! Put on some good music and start pulling. 



Once you have it all turned, you may need to iron it flat, mine was pretty wrinkly from all the torture! It's time to attache the hook and eye. Now this is were you can get creative, if you don't want to use a hook and eye you can use ribbon or even a necklace chain. It's all up to you. I didn't have a hook and eye but I had pants closure so I used that. Attach your choice of fastener and your done! I like a dumb ass forget to take a photo of the finished product, but I will be in an upcoming outfit post. 


If you make your own Peter Pan collar I would love to see it. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line! Have a great Wednesday y'all and don't forget to subscribe!


No comments:

Post a Comment