Friday, May 4, 2012

Summer Camp and Cats From Outer Space!

With camp being less then a month away, I figured I'd fill you in on what I'm doing this summer...

I will be working for the Girl Scouts of Northern California at a summer camp. My position title is Program leader of visual arts. What that actually means is that I'm a supervisor of arts and crafts. I'm pretty stoked on being able to hang out with kids, craft and get paid for it! I will be in wrangling 8 to 16 children (depending on the week) and also 2 assistant program leaders. Most of the program leaders are younger (18 or 19) and have been campers at the camp before. This is my first year doing this, but I'm sure this won't be my last. 

I will be living in the woods from the beginning of June until the end of August. I will live in a tent. I was told that I could bunk with the girls, but from what I remember about camp, it's staying up late and giggling and I don't mind the girls doing that as long as they aren't super loud or crazy, but I would also like to sleep and have my own little space. So tent it is! My one requirement for my tent is that I can stand in it. I don't want to feel super cramped in whatever I'm living in for the summer, so I found a 6 person tent and it will be my little tent mansion! 

Here is my check list for camping supplies that I still need! 


I have some clothes shopping to do as well. Most of what I own is dresses and that won't work this summer. I got an awesome pair of water/walking hybrid shoe. I'm pretty excited to wear them all summer. I was looking at them online through REI and they were $85 bucks and then one day Jim and I were wondering Ross and I found a pair for $30 bucks and I knew that were to be mine!!!! I also have been looking at a pair of Blowfish shoes for my everyday around camp shoes. I also stocked up on fun t-shirts, I went on threadless and they were having a massive sale (all their t-shirts were 10 bucks) so I snagged 5. I am super excited about my celestial cat shirt and will soon be rockin' it all summer. I'll grab pictures. I need shorts super bad. I'm pretty sure that my typical summer outfit will be slip on canvas shoes, leggings, shorts on top, tank top, awesome t-shirt, and a cardigan.  

Here is the list of clothes I'll be bringing...


I'm also looking forward to being the hang out chick. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only married one there and one of the oldest, but that just means I'm gunna be the awesome fun chick that everyone wants to hang out with. A lot of girls are coming from out of the country, and making them feel welcome and included is something I'm normally good at. My house is usually the place were everyone hangs out at so I'm guessing that this summer will be no exception. We work 8 days on and then will get 2 days off and if you don't have anywhere to go you can stay at camp or go with a friend, so my house will hopefully be the party spot for crazy camp counselors just like me!

Well tomorrow is Saterdance, so put on you dance pants and get ready to shake it! I'll be back with a vlog for Sunday. Talk to y'all soon!

P.S. Here is Celestial cat!


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like fun but I'm not sure I could live in a tent for that long! I'm sure it will be a nice change of pace though to be out in nature.

    ReplyDelete